Future Faculty Diversity Program
OCTOBER 1-4, 2023
The Future Faculty Diversity Program (FFDP) is designed to encourage graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, with a particular focus on historically underrepresented minorities in the United States, to consider current or future faculty positions at Virginia Tech. This three-day program provides participants with a unique opportunity to learn about the university's culture, meet with senior leaders, department heads, and faculty members, and gain valuable insights into life as a faculty member at Virginia Tech. Transportation, lodging and food expenses are covered by Virginia Tech.
During the program, fellows will hear from internationally recognized faculty members and campus leaders about the interviewing process, strategies for negotiating job offers, and tips for navigating the tenure process. This program provides a supportive and inclusive environment for fellows to explore their interests, ask questions, and gain insights into academic life at Virginia Tech. Fellows will also participate in a day-long interview, sharing their teaching and research interests, and why they are considering Virginia Tech for their academic career.
At Virginia Tech, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive community that fosters creativity, innovation, and excellence. We believe that by bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives, we can drive positive change in our communities and beyond. The Future Faculty Diversity Program is just one example of our commitment to supporting and nurturing the next generation of scholars and leaders.
We are seeking:
- PhD, DVM, or MFA candidates (anticipated graduation by May/June 2024), postdoctoral scholars, or early-career faculty or researchers.
- Individuals who identify as members of a strategic historically underrepresented population in the professoriate.
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Individuals who are committed to InclusiveVT-- the institutional and individual commitment to Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence.
- Individuals who are interested in pursuing an academic career (post-doctoral or faculty level) within the next two years at Virginia Tech.
- Individuals who demonstrate potential to fill current or anticipated vacancies at Virginia Tech.
Enhance the faculty pipeline by establishing and developing significant meaningful relationships with prospects, especially scholars traditionally underrepresented in their fields.
Provide the opportunity for participants to gain a greater awareness of Virginia Tech, which will enhance their ability to envision themselves as members of our community.
Develop a network of new scholars in priority research areas.
Be a graduate student or post-doctoral scholar within one year of seeking a faculty position at a research intensive institution,
Demonstrate career goals, research interests, and academic potential that align with Virginia Tech's mission and programs, and
Able to meaningfully contribute to the university's continuing commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence.
Underrepresented graduate students (A.B.D.) and post-doctoral scholars within one year of completion (Spring/Summer 2024) who are seeking a faculty position at a research-intensive institution are invited to apply for the 2023 Future Faculty Diversity Program.
Please be prepared to upload the required documents into ONE document in the following order with a page break in between:
- Cover letter that addresses the selection criteria above (1 page)
- Diversity Statement responding to the prompt: How does your commitment to diversity impact your role as a tenure track faculty member? (1 page)
- Research Statement (1-2 pages)
- Teaching statement (1-2 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae
Application currently being accepted!
For questions about the application process please contact Dr. Erica Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org