InclusiveVT Welcome: A Celebration of Inclusion and Belonging
September 12th - 16th
As part of Virginia Tech’s institutional and individual commitment to Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence, InclusiveVT Welcome is our celebration of inclusion and belonging. We celebrate that Virginia Tech is where everyone belongs. Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to participate in events happening across the university.
Our keynote speaker for InclusiveVT Welcome is Judith Heumann, an internationally recognized, lifelong advocate for the rights of disabled people. She has been instrumental in the development and implementation of legislation, such as Section 504, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act, and the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. Along with Kristen Joiner, Judy wrote about her life in Being Heumann: An Unrepentant Memoir of a Disability Rights Activist, which was the InclusiveVT Book Circles summer selection. She is also featured in the Oscar-nominated documentary, Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution, directed by James LeBrecht and Nicole Newnham. Judy produces a podcast titled The Heumann Perspective, which features a variety of members from the disability community.
Mark your calendars now for the presentation on Thursday, September 15th from 7:00pm to 8:15pm ET. To register, receive the Zoom link, and submit your questions, please complete the linked form. If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Michelle Carter at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Register your InclusiveVT Welcome Event
Does the event have to fall between September 12th and September 16th to be included? No! Why? Because InclusiveVT Welcome is about the welcome not the week.
- Have a watch party for the keynote presentation! This can be on September 15th or your group can watch the recording on InclusiveVT YouTube.
- Have a watch party for the documentary featuring Judith Heumann, Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution. Contact Michelle Carter for a link, a release, and a discussion guide.
- Listen to Judy’s podcast The Heumann Perspective and have a discussion.
- And there is also a TedTalk! Our Fight for Disability Rights and Why We Are Not Done Yet
- Need more ideas? Contact Michelle Carter email@example.com
To learn more about these speakers or problems with any of the links? Contact Michelle Carter.