Principles of Community Week 2020
Principles of Community Week
March 16 – 20, 2020
Virginia Tech thrives on being a welcoming, accessible, and inclusive campus for all. We take pride in valuing our freedom to speak and our ability to talk to each other across differences through civil and respectful dialogue. Our commitment to these values are embodied in our Principles of Community. This is an important opportunity to mark our progress and acknowledge that there is much work to do as we continue to embrace an inclusive environment.
- We affirm the inherent dignity and value of every person and strive to maintain a climate for work and learning based on mutual respect and understanding.
- We affirm the right of each person to express thoughts and opinions freely. We encourage open expression within a climate of civility, sensitivity, and mutual respect.
- We affirm the value of human diversity because it enriches our lives and the University. We acknowledge and respect our differences while affirming our common humanity.
- We reject all forms of prejudice and discrimination, including those based on age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, and veteran status. We take individual and collective responsibility for helping to eliminate bias and discrimination and for increasing our own understanding of these issues through education, training, and interaction with others.
- We pledge our collective commitment to these principles in the spirit of the Virginia Tech motto of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).
Voice silent histories. Be immersed in history. Take part in creating history. Preview the Council on VT History's first public showcasing of its projects!
A week of events in mid-March will help the Virginia Tech community reflect on principles that guide the institution’s values. Virginia Tech, Principles of Community is an extremely important initiative. There will be a host of events and speakers throughout this week to promote inclusion and encourage learning and growth throughout the VT community.
We invite you to participate in these activities as we continue to build community throughout our campus.
Check this site often as we will continue to populate this page with more events.