Black College Institute at Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech invites talented, high achieving and intellectually curious rising high school juniors and seniors to participate in a 5-day academic summer enrichment program at Virginia Tech’s main campus in Blacksburg.
Black College Institute will take place June 23 - 28, 2018
FREE OF CHARGE!
The Black College Institute at Virginia Tech
· Engages students with various academic disciplines and fields of study through experiential learning within the context of the African-American cultural experience
· Provides a college life experience by staying in VT’s residential halls, eating at our dining halls, working on projects in university classrooms and engaging with Virginia Tech’s faculty, staff and students
· Teaches students how to navigate the college application process through hands-on workshops on how to complete admissions applications and apply for scholarships and financial aid
· Offers students to live Virginia Tech’s motto of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) by participating in a day of civic engagement/service in our local community of Roanoke in partnership with local non-profit organizations
Virginia Tech Participating Colleges
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- College of Architecture and Urban Studies
- Pamplin School of Business
- College of Engineering
- College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences
- College of Natural Resources and Environment
- College of Science
- Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine
The Black College Institute is an InclusiveVT initiative. Inclusive VT is the institutional and individual commitment to Ut Prosim (that I may serve) in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. In an effort to advance diversity, InclusiveVT Project 2022 is a collaborative effort between the Office for Inclusion and Diversity, Undergraduate Admissions, Outreach and International Affairs, and the College Access Collaborative.
Application Deadline April 6th
Applications are Now Closed
* Link to Scholarships For African American Students *
Questions about Virginia Tech Admissions? Contact our Admission Liaison - Alphonso Garrett Below
- (540) 231-6267
Alphonso Garrett serves as Director of Undergraduate Diversity Recruitment Initiatives in the Office of Enrollment Management at Virginia Tech. in his capacity, he advises the Assistant Vice Provost for Enrollment Management and Interim Director of Undergraduate Admissions on matters regarding admission and recruitment for underrepresented and underserved students. He also leads the Office of Undergraduate Admissions Diversity Recruitment Team and is a member of the admissions review committee.
He has more than 10 years in enrollment and admissions experience having spent time in undergraduate admissions and student services positions at multiple state universities, a private liberal arts college, and a proprietary institution.
Beyond his roles at Virginia Tech Alphonso is currently President-Elect of the Virginia Association for Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, co-founder Diversity Initiatives for Collaborative Education – a multiple university committee dedicated to college access, and holds membership in the Virginia College Access Network, the Virginia Latino Higher Education Network, and Potomac and Chesapeake Association for College Admissions Counseling.
Alphonso a first-generation college student, Army Veteran, has earned a B.S. in Communication, a M.S.Ed and Graduate Certificate in Enrollment Management, and is currently pursuing an Ed.S. in Instructional Technology through Virginia Tech’s School of Education.